The School Newspaper of Dobyns-Bennett High School

The Arrowhead

Miss Style

This past week, November 4-9th, some students attended a Cosmetology Competition in Johnson City and there is only one competition a year. Cosmetology class consists of creating fun makeup styles, making nail art, and styling hair. Ms. Bowery, the class teacher, gave us some information and insight about what the makeup competition is all about.

The competition was held on November 9th, and is called the Upper East Cosmetology Competition. There are several different divisions; Total Look, Up-do on Mannequins, Braids, Nail Art and Sculpt Nail, Fantasy and Beauty makeup. Not everyone in Cosmetology went, but Mrs. Bowery took several students, including models; Michelle Lee, Ciarra McMillan, Hannah Murray, Mikala Littrell, Skyler Scheuch, Alexandria McCracken, Jesus Floes Perez.

There are not ranks but, “for example, if you’re a beginner, and you only had 60 school hours, you could face someone who has had 800 school hours,” meaning that a student could go into competition and they could be a beginner, but face a student who has been in the class longer, with more experience.

Mrs. Bowery said that, “It’s a great thing to get your name in the area. Sally’s Beauty Supply offered employees for judges, as well as prizes. Top 3 placed in every division.

“Competing in cosmetology competitions is also a great way to get a job behind the chair. Sally’s is always looking for employees with knowledge.”

• Miss Style

Student Life

Tis’ The Season to Be On Guard

• Miss Style

Student Life

Wanna Take CTE Classes?

• Miss Style

Student Life

Helping Hands!

• Miss Style

Student Life

Club in the Spotlight

• Miss Style

Student Life

Teacher in the Spotlight: Mr. Nave

• Miss Style

Student Life

Club in the Spotlight

• Miss Style

Student Life

Teacher in the Spotlight

• Miss Style

Student Life

National Principals Month

• Miss Style

Student Life

Hoco 2K17

• Student Life

Club in the Spotlight

Miss Style