The School Newspaper of Dobyns-Bennett High School

The Arrowhead

Helping Hands!

Sparkle Squad consists of the special needs students, as well as the Spirit Shakers, and BUDS. What is BUDS, students may ask? Mrs. Christie Culbertson, a special needs teacher at DB, answered a few questions about the BUDS program and explains how anyone can get invloved.

BUDS stand for Buddies Understanding Different Students and is an extracurricular program for students who enjoy helping students with disabilities and are the same age. Students join BUDS to work one on one with students who need extra support in their learning, and it’s a very rewarding experience.

BUDS is a class, however students do not receive a grade or credit for it.  Getting involved is really simple for students who are interested.  Culbertson says, “To get involved with BUDS students must fill out an application before the end of the current semester. Applications will be processed and reviewed by administration and students meeting the requirements, who have availability in their schedule will be placed in one of the BUDS classes.”  Culbertson also added, “Our goal is to remove or minimize barriers to social inclusion and to change the way that individuals with exceptionalities are perceived in the school, community, in the home, and within individuals.”

BUDS do special activities as well, such as monthly field trips, Tribe Games, BUDS Prom, BUDS graduation ceremony, end of the year celebratio,n and and end of the year breakfast.  “This semester we have 10 students participating in BUDS,” Culbertson says. 

And now, members are needed! Culbertson says that “we now have two Functional Academics (formerly LifeSkills) classes. Functional Academics 1 (9-12) and FA1 Transition. We will need enough BUDS to support students in both classes. Ideally 3-5 per class period per class.” So the program is always looking for great students who want to make a difference!

Anyone interested in getting involved for next semester, just contact Mrs. Christie Culbertson to learn more.

• Helping Hands!

Student Life

Tis’ The Season to Be On Guard

• Helping Hands!

Student Life

Wanna Take CTE Classes?

• Helping Hands!

Student Life

Miss Style

• Helping Hands!

Student Life

Club in the Spotlight

• Helping Hands!

Student Life

Teacher in the Spotlight: Mr. Nave

• Helping Hands!

Student Life

Club in the Spotlight

• Helping Hands!

Student Life

Teacher in the Spotlight

• Helping Hands!

Student Life

National Principals Month

• Helping Hands!

Student Life

Hoco 2K17

• Student Life

Club in the Spotlight

Helping Hands!