The School Newspaper of Dobyns-Bennett High School

The Arrowhead

Club in the Spotlight

Keely Heck, Assistant Editor

Every two weeks “The Arrowhead” featuress a different club so that students can learn more about the Dobyns-Bennett school clubs. The club featured this week is the Mock Trial Team. The Mock Trial Team is hosted by the only, Ms. Kari Enix.

A Mock Trial is basically a realistic court case that isn’t real. That is the objective of D-B’s newer club “Mock Trial.” Kari Enix, the club sponsor, says, “students take on the role of either a witness or a lawyer and prepare to present both sides of a case.” Students acting as lawyers must learn the rules of Mock Trial court, which are very alike to the rules in a real courtroom. Lawyers have know the rules for entering evidence, questioning and cross-examining a witness, how to enter a witness as an expert, how to use objections, and more.

It’s a very intense process for the students to learn all the rules and takes quite a bit of time and commitment to complete. Similarly, students who act as witnesses must know who they are playing, inside and out. The case that is presented to Mock Trial teams comes with witness statements and supplementary information that students must memorize in order to successfully portray the character. This can include things like the “witness’s” resume, professional publications, affidavits, or even personal correspondences related to the facts of the case. The Trial Team cases could either be a criminal in nature or civil, but they change every year. Students spend most of their practices consulting with the  attorney coaches, Ashlee Jenks and Sarah Foster, in order to learn the specifics of their roles.

What does the Mock Trial team try to accomplish each year? The Mock Trial competes in a “district competition, presenting both sides of the case in multiple rounds,” says Enix. Students compete with other teams in the area. If the team successfully wins their rounds, they advance to the state competition. Winners of the state competition go on to a national competition.

Currently the Mock Trial Team only has seven members, but Enix says she would love to have enough members next year to field two teams!

What are the benefits for being in the Mock Trial team? It is a great place to learn about how the court systems work. Although the rules of Mock Trial are somewhat different than a real courtroom, many of the rules and procedures are the same. Students who are interested in the judicial system, debate, politics or theatre would all benefit from involvement in this club.

Although Mock Trial is a serious competition that requires a serious commitment, Enix says they,  “do have a lot of fun competing! And winning regionals and being able to travel to Nashville for the state competition is also a fun experience!”

• Club in the Spotlight

Student Life

Teacher in the Spotlight: Mr. Nave

• Club in the Spotlight

Student Life

Club in the Spotlight

• Club in the Spotlight

Student Life

Teacher in the Spotlight

• Club in the Spotlight

Student Life

National Principals Month

• Club in the Spotlight

Student Life

Hoco 2K17

• Student Life

Club in the Spotlight

• Club in the Spotlight

Student Life

Summer Reading….Havin’ a Blast….

• Club in the Spotlight

Student Life

Club in the Spotlight

• Club in the Spotlight

Student Life

Haunted Houses

• Club in the Spotlight

Student Life

Summertime Sadness

Club in the Spotlight