The School Newspaper of Dobyns-Bennett High School

The Arrowhead

Is Having an Hour for Tribe Time a Good Idea?

Molly Turner

Beginning in 2015, DB students were given 1 hour during the day to split between lunch and Tribe Time. More specifically, Tribe Time was allocated so all students could dedicate energy to studying, getting tutor help, and making up missed work This seemed like a great addition to student’s school days, but is all the hassle worth it?

Recently Tribe Time was temporarily taken away and replaced with homeroom. It is undecided if this decision is permanent, however I don’t think that DB should end tribe time.

Having this hour during the school day can be very helpful to many DB students. Tribe Time gives students the opportunity to go to tutoring if they are struggling in a class, or taking difficult courses that require extra time put in.

Tribe Time can also be helpful to the students who are in time consuming after school activities. Many DB students are very involved not only in school, but after school as well. Tribe time gives them the time to complete homework that they wouldn’t be able to do later.

This break in the school day is also a great time for clubs. Many of the DB school clubs hold their meetings during Tribe Time. This gives busy students the ability to join a school club, and makes the clubs seem more appealing to people because they don’t have to stay after school to be involved.

Lastly, Tribe Time is very helpful for completing makeup work. When students miss school, it can be very difficult to make up what they have missed. However, Tribe Time gives the students the option to come in and makeup tests/quizzes without missing any more class time.

Though Tribe Time is a great thing for students, there have been some problems with it.

Lately there has been a large amount of fighting taking place during Tribe Time. There is also a significant amount of trash left in the halls daily. It is questioned if students are using tribe time to its full potential.

However, I feel that Tribe Time is worth these issues. Though not every student uses Tribe Time the way it is meant, there is still a great amount of students benefiting from this hour, and the ones who do use tribe time depend on it. Many students will be at a loss if it is taken away.

I feel that Tribe Time is a very beneficial part of student learning, and it should not be taken away from the DB students.

• Is Having an Hour for Tribe Time a Good Idea?

Opinion

Are DB Lockers Useful?

Opinion

The NFL “Takes the Knee”

Opinion

School Should Begin Later

Opinion

Homeroom Testing

Student Life

Tis’ The Season to Be On Guard

Top Stories

Toast

Opinion

Are DB Lockers Useful?

Student Life

Wanna Take CTE Classes?

Student Life

Miss Style

Student Life

Helping Hands!