The School Newspaper of Dobyns-Bennett High School

The Arrowhead

The NFL “Takes the Knee”

Molly Turner

Recently a major controversy began on the NFL football field. NFL players have been making the choice to kneel or link arms during the playing of the National Anthem. This decision is claimed to be a protest against racism. Kneeling during the Star Spangled Banner has started a major controversy about if the NFL players have that right or not.

Some NFL coaches are threatening to fire players who refuse to stand for the National Anthem. It has even gone so far that President Donald Trump made a public announcement saying that any player who “disrespects our flag” should be fired.

However, I don’t agree with all of the threats to fire and suspend players. Some people feel that kneeling during the National Anthem is disrespectful to the soldiers who died so that we could be free. Though I feel that the National Anthem is a tribute to all the soldiers who died for us, I think that those soldiers died so we could make that choice. They fought so we could have the freedom to make our own decisions. Whether we stand, kneel, or link arms, the soldiers would want it to be our choice, and a free choice.

If the NFL players feel so strongly about something that they are willing to get fired for it, then they should do it. This is also causing people to talk about boycotting games, which makes the players lose money. Their display of protest knowing everything they could lose shows how strongly they believe in this.

Also, it’s not like the players are doing anything violent. They are expressing their feelings in a peaceful way. The players aren’t hurting anyone, but are still expressing their beliefs. I feel that this is a good way to express the American freedoms.

Many players feel that this issue is bigger than football, and that it would be selfish if they were to ignore it. When they kneel in such a public place at such a public time, it demonstrates the issues that they believe are going on in America today.

In my opinion, the NFL players can and should kneel during the National Anthem because of how strongly they feel about the cause. They obviously feel like this is a very important problem that needs to be addressed because they are willing to give up their careers for it. I think if it is that big of a deal to them then they should definitely kneel or lock arms during the Star Spangled Banner, because that’s what America is about. America is about standing up for what you believe in, and that is what the NFL players are doing.

• The NFL “Takes the Knee”

Opinion

School Should Begin Later

• The NFL “Takes the Knee”

Opinion

Homeroom Testing

• The NFL “Takes the Knee”

A & E

BOO 2! A Madea Halloween: Movie Review

• The NFL “Takes the Knee”

Student Life

Club in the Spotlight

• The NFL “Takes the Knee”

Top Stories

National Honors Society

• The NFL “Takes the Knee”

Student Life

Teacher in the Spotlight: Mr. Nave

• The NFL “Takes the Knee”

Fashion & Trends

3 Easy Hairstyles for when you Want to Hit Snooze!

• The NFL “Takes the Knee”

Top Stories

The Beatles Are Back!

• The NFL “Takes the Knee”

Sports

Dominating Farragut Leads to the Playoffs

• The NFL “Takes the Knee”

Student Life

Club in the Spotlight

The NFL “Takes the Knee”