The School Newspaper of Dobyns-Bennett High School

The Arrowhead

School Should Begin Later

Molly Turner

School days tend to start with an alarm or parent waking up students way too early in the morning. Whether it’s 5:30am or 7:00am the student struggles to get out of bed, and begin their day.

One of the least liked parts of school to most students is waking up early. When they hear that a new school year is starting, students automatically dread waking up in time to get to school at 7:30 or 7:45am.

If school began later in the morning, it would be more appealing to many students. This would give time for students to have more sleep or to have some free time in the morning before they have to leave for school. This could improve students’ moods for and about school.

Studies show that teenagers need 9-10 hours of sleep per night, and because of early school hours, this is unlikely to happen. When students have afterschool activities and a lot of homework, it can be nearly impossible for them to get the needed amount of sleep.

Students also feel the need to have some free time throughout the day to relax and reduce stress. However, this adds to the time that students spend awake and reduces the hours of sleep they get. Though students tend to like to sleep, being on an iphone for hours can be pretty appealing after a long day of school.

According to studies, teenage brains do not wake up naturally before 8:00am. Dobyns Bennett begins school at 7:30-7:45am, which is before students brains can completely wake up. School should begin later because students cannot use their mental abilities to the fullest potential that early in the morning.

If school began at 8:30am or 9:00am, students would have more time to wake up, and their brains would be active and ready to learn. Doing this would likely increase student’s test scoring and their enthusiasm to go to school.

Beginning school only a little bit later could fix many problems with school, and many students’ views on it as a whole.

• School Should Begin Later

Opinion

The NFL “Takes the Knee”

• School Should Begin Later

Opinion

Homeroom Testing

• School Should Begin Later

A & E

BOO 2! A Madea Halloween: Movie Review

• School Should Begin Later

Student Life

Club in the Spotlight

• School Should Begin Later

Top Stories

National Honors Society

• School Should Begin Later

Student Life

Teacher in the Spotlight: Mr. Nave

• School Should Begin Later

Fashion & Trends

3 Easy Hairstyles for when you Want to Hit Snooze!

• School Should Begin Later

Top Stories

The Beatles Are Back!

• School Should Begin Later

Sports

Dominating Farragut Leads to the Playoffs

• School Should Begin Later

Student Life

Club in the Spotlight

School Should Begin Later