The School Newspaper of Dobyns-Bennett High School

The Arrowhead

What is…..the FAFSA?

Keely Heck, Assistant Editor

What is FAFSA? FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. It’s a form that can be prepared annually by current college students who want to attend college in the future in the United States. This form allows each college the student applies at to determine their eligibility for student financial aid. Financial aid is any grant, scholarship, loan, or paid employment offered to help a student meet his/her college expenses. Such aid is usually provided by various sources such as federal and state agencies, colleges, high schools, corporations, and foundations. Grants and scholarships are monies that don’t get paid back, but students have to earn the work study dollars and pay back any loans taken out.

Yes, FAFSA is required if students want to participate in federal and state financial aid. The form is available three months earlier than it had been previously ( now October instead of January). You can access the FAFSA for the 2018-19 school year on Oct. 1, 2017. This better aligns the financial aid and college application processes and gives students more time to apply for aid.

Who is eligible for the FAFSA?

Councelor Eric Freeman  says that the answer is kind of complicated. The exact details of who is eligible is here: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/eligibility. Basically any US Citizen or non-citizen permanent resident with a green card is eligible to file a FAFSA application.

Is FAFSA required to go to college?

Technically a student is not required to do the FAFSA to go to college; however the Tennessee Promise, Tennessee Hope (lottery scholarship), and many other scholarships and state and federal grants require students to complete the FAFSA in order to be eligible to for those scholarships and/or grants. Since the application is totally free to complete, and it is the default application for so many scholarships and grants, teachers encourage all seniors to do it.

For any other questions concerning the FAFSA, check out https://fafsa.ed.gov, or ask a Dobyns-Bennett counselor for more information.

• What is…..the FAFSA?

News

Milligan College’s Engineering Program

• What is…..the FAFSA?

News

ASVAB Testing

• What is…..the FAFSA?

News

Do Your Best on the Test!

• What is…..the FAFSA?

News

The Moon’s Shadow

• What is…..the FAFSA?

News

Picture Retakes

• What is…..the FAFSA?

News

Changes Coming to Kingsport City Schools

• What is…..the FAFSA?

A & E

BOO 2! A Madea Halloween: Movie Review

• What is…..the FAFSA?

Student Life

Club in the Spotlight

• What is…..the FAFSA?

Top Stories

National Honors Society

• What is…..the FAFSA?

Student Life

Teacher in the Spotlight: Mr. Nave

What is…..the FAFSA?